25.9.08

Introduction

About Me: My Name is Dane Ryan and I am involved in and a close observer of Democratic-Farmer-Labor politics. I describe myself as an advocate and activist. Politics in my opinion is an engine of change. Politics simply put exists to improve peoples lives. I saw this from a fairly early age, and still remain young now. I am a junior of political science at the University of Minnesota. Previously I had spent time at UM-Duluth in arguably the most blue collar part of the state. I am a proud member of The United Food and Commercial Workers local 653. You might wonder why read another political blog, particularly by a student recently old enough to drink. Well, I feel qualified and that my studies and times on different campaigns gives me a good perspective and has shaped my view. I am particularly interested in populist type politics. The blight of poor people, the massive debt after college, tax policy, worker rights and union protection and the environment among others.

Qualifications:
Writing: Staff Writer for UMD Statesman, regular
Campaigns: 2004 - John Kerry ellection volunteer
2005 - Paul Ostrow City Council Reelection volunteer
2006 - Diane Loeffler for State Representative Reelection volunteer
2006 - Keith Ellison election volunteer
2008 - Obama for Minnesota volunteer

What I want to convey through this blog is not overused talking points that a viewer can't escape on evening talk shows, but a unique perspective from a young American. The Midwest, has long been a hot spot for populist messages, due to the middle class nature of the people here. The key in my opinion to a true populism is the belief in hope for the future. As long as there is space for improvement among the common people of America, populism will be here to stay.
This blog comes from the perspective of middle class student, in debt, working nights at a union job trying to get by and hoping to improve his life and through his work the lives of others too.

“The future will not belong to those who sit on the sidelines. The
future will not belong to the cynics. The future belongs to those who
believe in the beauty of their dreams.” - Paul Wellstone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it clean and nice