2.3.09

MN Daily exposes Charles Carlson


Amendment: After discussing my post and comments with a blogger friend of Mine I have decided to amend a bit of what I said and be more tactful. I believe that Charles went about this all wrong. I in no way want to attack Carlson's claims of Mental Illness because I am not a doctor and I do no know him personally. That being said I do not agree with the way he apologized to his supporters, the claims he used to suspend his campaign. I am glad when he was discovered that he came to his senses before the endorsing process began. My initial reaction was harsh because I have a history w/ disabilities and do not like them used as an excuse.


Corrections made 3/2/09:


I don't really know what to say about this other than...Wow!!! I knew Charles was not a very truthful person according to my good friend Katherine who is an Owatanna native who knew him when she was in high school, but this is kind of ridiculous. Some of this stuff is very concerning. I am very proud of the Minnesota Daily's investigation to expose lies. The last thing we need is more lying politicians. These things are kind of ridiculous.

"
Student to drop from City Council race, lied about past

Subhead:
An investigation by The Minnesota Daily found that Carlson lied on several occasions concerning items such as his college education at Princeton University and where he grew up.

BY Briana Bierschbach
PUBLISHED: 03/02/2009

Just days before DFL caucusing begins for Minneapolis City Council elections, Charles Carlson — University of Minnesota student and Minnesota representative at the Democratic National Convention — said he will announce Monday his withdrawal from the Ward 2 councilmember race following a series of lies regarding his past and his qualifications.

An investigation by The Minnesota Daily found that Carlson lied on several occasions concerning items such as his college education at Princeton University and where he grew up.

Carlson, who speaks with an English accent, previously claimed he grew up in Ramsgate, England, but admitted recently that he grew up in the United States.

The Daily confirmed that Carlson attended elementary school, middle schools and high schools throughout Minnesota, including Northfield High School, where a former classmate said Carlson did not have an accent. Also, the classmate did not have any knowledge of Carlson previously living in England.

In a Feb. 1 Daily article, Carlson said his English background would help him connect with the 2nd Ward’s immigrant population.

Carlson also provided the Daily with two fraudulent transcripts to Phillips Exeter Academy in New Hampshire and Princeton University. These schools, along with two other English schools he claimed to have attended, had no record of Carlson.

Carlson said he has been diagnosed with schizophrenia affective disorder, which impacts an individual’s ability to accurately judge reality. Although he said he did not know whether it has affected his perception, he admitted in a recent interview to making false claims in an attempt to hide a “messy past,” which Carlson said included two years in a mental institution.

“I spent six years being a gay nothing that people just made fun of, and then when I was discharged I found out that people would believe anything you told them,” he said. “And in an effort to substantiate who I am, to be something, I went too far.”

In a recent Daily interview, Carlson apologized for lying during his campaign.

“This campaign was never about me, it was really about the fact that I felt students were being neglected,” Carlson said. “I’m very sorry for not being honest.”

Carlson did participate in a Junior Statesman Summer School program in 2003 at Princeton University, Jeff Harris, executive director of the program, said. But the pressure of the program caused a mental breakdown, Carlson said.

Public records show that an attempt to commit Carlson to a mental institution was made just after his 18th birthday in December 2003, but was dismissed two months later.

Before the case was dismissed, a district court in Rice County, Minn., appointed Carlson a Guardian of the Person, which gives them the same rights and duties as a parent over a minor.

Carlson provided the Daily with court documents that state he was appointed a guardian because he was diagnosed with schizophrenic affective disorder and was unable to take care of himself.

A November 2005 letter from the South Central Human Relations Center, a mental health service provider in Owatonna, Minn., stated that Carlson had been under its care since February 2004, and recommended that his right to care for himself be restored.

Since that time, Carlson attended the DNC as an at-large delegate for Minnesota and has been taking classes at the University of Minnesota since spring 2007, according to Onestop Services.

Carlson said he lied about his past to Daily reporters because he was afraid people would not consider him a feasible candidate.

“The motivation behind my running is that I’m seeing a lot of injustices on campus, and it’s difficult to run a campaign when people don’t consider you viable,” he said. “In an attempt to make my campaign viable, I didn’t want to risk anything.”

Carlson said he is leaving the race because he was offered a job officiating tennis and will have to travel for the position.

Judy Grundstrom, a close friend of Carlson’s and managing principal at Inland Office for Tomorrow’s Architecture, where Carlson has worked, said she was unaware that Carlson did not grow up in England, nor that he had a history of mental illness.

“I’ve known Charles since April and I’ve always been aware that there is something going on with him and … he doesn’t have a lot of people in his life and that I should try and help him,” she said. “I do care about him.”

Carlson said he has already spoken with Ward 2 Councilman Cam Gordon about his concerns for the city and his plans to withdraw from the race.

Gordon said he preferred to not comment about Carlson’s withdrawal.

Other false claims

In a Sept. 2008 article titled, “Minnesota Represented at DNC by U student delegate,” Carlson stated that he officiated tennis at the 2008 Beijing Olympics. On Saturday Carlson admitted this claim is false.

Carlson also stated that he had a personal connection to Sen. Hillary Clinton that dated back to his childhood spent in England, where Clinton shared a crème brûlée torte with him. Carlson said this story is not true.

Carlson said he worked as a communications director on the Hillary Clinton campaign, but the Daily was not able to confirm this independently.

—Staff reporter Tiffany Smith contributed to this story."



10 comments:

  1. Judy Grundstrom makes me want to vomit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how did katherine go to school with him when owatonna is no where mentioned in the article?

    this guy was in a political science class with me. when he spoke he sounded really smart. i never would thought he was lying. i was pretty blown away to read that article.

    my question is how did he become a rep. to the dnc?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew Charles a bit and this kid is the biggest fake I've ever met. He most definitely has some mental illness because he couldn't even hold a conversation or play a game without lying or cheating to make himself look better or smarter. Also I've heard that his accent goes away when he's drunk enough. I'm glad he was exposed (for the sake of Minneapolis Counsel) and I hope he can get some help.
    To the post above me: The article says he attended school all over MN. I would assume that to include Owatonna.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He lived all over southern Minnesota. He and Katherine were friends when she was in High School. I believe he was a bit older.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that Charles did NOT go to Owatonna High School. Northfield is about 30 miles away. I think that it is ridiculous that everyone is so quick to believe in reporters, who are just as capable of lying. For all of you who are "happy" and "glad" that he was exposed, I want you to think of how many lies you have told in your life, and when you told those lies did you do it to help a city? Yeah, probably not. None of you know the "real Charles Carlson" and none of you ever will, not even any pathetic reporter who tries to investigate him. The only person who really knows Charles and absolutely all of things he has been through is Charles. At least he had the courage to tell the truth! I think that those of you who are tearing him down by your comments, and investigations are cowardly and pathetic. Do not say that he is "the biggest fake" because chances are that you are worse. Charles is a very smart person and I feel that it is a tragedy that he has a mental illness. Look at how well he is doing in his life now and think about how much better he could be doing without the illness.

    And to the "reporters" if you can even call yourselves that, I don't know how you can sleep at night. You probably feel so proud that you "exposed" Charles Carlson, but in all reality you should feel ashamed and worthless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Charles...that "Anonymous" comment you left is just oozing with desperation. Your lies were not to help a city - how laughable - but so that you could hobnob with the social elite of the Twin Cities. Don't try to fool anyone...all your lies came months before you even thought of running for city council. I am also sick of you trying to deflect attention, saying other people are worse. Because no, they probably aren't. You stole $1,700, accepted political donations from companies, and then stole confidential data from a non-profit organization. Just put a rest to trying to defend yourself and accept blame and face your crimes!!

    -Lance

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even if I get small facts of how my friend knows Charles are wrong, it doesn't discount the entire opinion. The fact that he was running for office and lied to supporters is not acceptable. People worked to help get Charles campaign funds and endorsements. In the end whether Charles went to Owatanna is not very important. The important fact is Charles overtly lied to supporters about very important things like Education History, and even further has not apologized to supporters

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even Further...

    I am not tearing down Charles for his illness, but for not revealing the truth about it or other facts earlier. Constituents need to be informed in order to make the right decisions

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another thing. You should be very suspicious of posts made by anonymous people.

    Look here to see why: http://blog.johnschrom.com/archives/1362#comments

    ReplyDelete
  10. People post anonymously when dealing with Charles because he is downright scary. The things he has threatened to do to me and has done to me has caused me psychological damage requiring treatment. The only thing I can take away from mr fraud is what doesn't kill me will only make me stronger. At this point, I hope he hits rock bottom; That is his only hope or else he'll feel like he got away with something

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it clean and nice