29.4.09

Spector may not be automatic Vote.. but he's a realist

“I will not be an automatic 60th vote,” Specter said Tuesday afternoon. “I would illustrate that with my position on employee choice, also known as card check. I think it’s a bad deal and I’m opposed to it. I will not vote to impose cloture. … If the Democratic Party asks too much, I will not vote with them.” -Politico

What does this mean for this like the EFCA vote? Well according to Employee Free Choice Report, even though he said in his statement he would not change his vote on EFCA, it might.

"My change in party affiliation does not mean that I will be a party-line voter any more for the Democrats that I have been for the Republicans. Unlike Senator Jeffords' switch which changed party control, I will not be an automatic 60th vote for cloture. For example, my position on Employees Free Choice (Card Check) will not change."

Spector was the only Republican to vote for cloture last year on HR 800 EFCA. I am hopeful that a small change in the bill might help him change his mind. Further, Spector now realizes that he will need Democratic Party support in the next election. Without their support with one of the central issues being EFCA, he can't expect be elected for a 5th term. I Believe with enough pressure, he can become the needed vote for labor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it clean and nice